Which reminds me that I should have mentioned the available scan
of club using a series of yagi antennas around a wide tower to
obtain a quasi omni pattern.   You can probably find the info
on the repeater builder antenna page along with the mounting offset
paper I mentioned earlier.

skipp

> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> For a water tower, I would imagine the backside null is rather
substantial. A club I was associated with more than 20 years ago tried
the side mounting of an 2 meter antenna on the railing of a old style
water tower (four legs supporting the "Ball". It performed as expected
with deep, very noticeable (on the air) nulls off the back. However,
if that is all you can get, then go for it. I have seen guys mount a
Rohn 25 type tower on the platform where the railing is, mount the
antenna on top of the tower section(s) and then the top of the antenna
will see over the top of the water tower. I guess it should work.
However. I bet there is a mechanical situation that has to be worked
out to insure mechanical integrity during high winds. If you can bolt
the tower top to the ball, that would help. I have seen that also.