And does not turn into toothpicks when struck by lightning!

Paul

-----Original Message-----
From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Laryn Lohman
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2007 12:29 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Antennas that work both in commercial and
amateur

>          I've been watching this topic and cannot recommend the half
> wave dipole bay antennas as not really efficient gain wise for what
> one gets for the effort..
>
> The Station Master series has been mentioned, which has good
> omnidirectional gain, in the order of some 10 db, and which is equal
> to having a 10 element beam in all directions!! Far above a 4
section dipole arrangment!

You are comparing totally different antennas.  If you are going to talk
about the Stationmaster with 10 dbd of omni gain, you are referring to a UHF
antenna.  The comparably-sized exposed-dipole antenna is a DB420 with 9.2
dbd gain.  It has eight (basically), stacked dipoles, not four.  Same basic
length, same basic gain, and
the 420 covers far more bandwidth.

> The Station Master series is made of stacked coaxial sections inside
> the fiberglass.  Unsolder the wire from the top metal cap and unscrew
> the cap and look inside.  First you will find that there is a quarter
> wave element at the top, then phased half wave coax sections below
> that.  Research staked Coaxial vertal antennas on the Internet,
> they're well covered.  I favor them as out performing most anythinb
> else.

What are you basing your <out performing> claim on?

> Gonset discovered back in the 1960's era that the bandwidth aspect of
> a halfwave antenna was the results of the ratio of the thickness of
> the half wave antenna to the half wave length, and reinvented the "bow
> tie" antenna, typically used for broadband TV!!!
> Hahahahaha!!!
>
> It also depends on the radiation pattern, where it goes and how narrow
> it is.  I've had a single section coaxial vertical antenna, basically
> a half wave vertical, mounted at ground level, out perform a mobile
> 5/8th wave 3 db gain vertical, mounted on my vehicle out in the
> driveway, with the same radio, but a few feet higher!!  The mobile
> 5/8th wave puts out a very narrow pattern at horizon level, and the
> coaxial a wider donut shaped pattern also at the horizon..

It is very misleading to compare two antennas in a multipath-laden area such
the typical driveway, especially if not mounted in the same EXACT place.
Move an antenna to a new position a foot or two or ten away and you'll find
completely new signal readings.  You've experienced mobile flutter I'm sure.
Same thing.

> While I think it said that the proposed antenna is to be on top of a
> building, the same antenna on a mountain top repeater has to do the
> same job in the weather, and over time, whether it's an Amateur Radio
> or Commercial installation..!!!
>
> Best,
>
> Dick

Laryn K8TVZ

5:40 PM

href="http://www.ourphonelist.com";>OurPhonelist.com<br>It's free and you'll
never lose track of a phone number again! </a></p>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: