skipp025 wrote:

> > The End-to-End audio path is flat through the repeater.  There is
> > no de-emphasis or pre-emphasis going on inside the repeater audio
> > path.  The repeater receiver leaves the audio alone, the controller
> > leaves it alone, and the repeater transmitter leaves it alone.
>
> In reality that never happens 100%... the receiver, audio interface
> circuit and the transmitter modulator always "color" the audio to
> some degree.

But they don't do it intentionally as a pre/de-emph circuit does.

If the interface is done right, it won't color it at all.

> > That is flat audio through a repeater.
>
> Actually... it's better described as "transparent audio through a
> repeater"

Actually, 'flat response' is better. Since the de-emph/pre-emph changes
the audio intentionally, the term 'processed audio' is more applicable
to such a repeater.

> > In practical real-world service, every users transmitter
> > pre-emphasizes the audio on transmit, and every users radio
> > de-emphasizes the audio on receive.  The repeater should leave
> > the through-put audio alone, and your repeater will sound just
> > like simplex does.
>
> I hope not... most ham radios are over deviated. I depend on my
> settings to clean/limit many of the users ctcss and voice deviations
> up quite a bit. Simplex audio sounds dull and weak compared to a
> well thought out repeater audio chain.

If it sounds dull and weak, that is because the USER RADIOS made it that
way. A properly set up repeater will not alter the audio at all.

Any change you make to the audio will have a negative effect on half of
the users. For example, if you boost the highs, you will make a bassy
radio sound better, but a tinny radio will sound even more tinny and a
properly set up radio will be made to sound tinny.

Fix the problem at the source - don't try to make the repeater correct
for problems in the user radios.

> > No audio processing should be done inside the repeater, period.
>
> Another whole topic... but I like the sound of repeater audio with
> a slight amount of voice audio processing/compression.

Then add such processing to *your* receiver. Don't try to 'force' your
tastes on everyone else. Someone else may think what you think sounds
good sounds terrible.

Joe M.