    Posted by: "Bob Dengler" [EMAIL PROTECTED] no6b
    Date: Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:04 am ((PDT))

At 3/22/2007 09:34 AM, you wrote:
>Bob,
>
>How would we know if the preamp is nonlinear or not?

Only way to know for sure is to connect a spectrum analyzer to the output
of the preamp & look for anything greater than, say -15 dBm.  The
advertised 1 dB gain compression point (P1dB) for these preamps is +12 dBm,
though other brands I've measured clocked in a bit lower than this (+7 dBm)
so unless you measure it I'd assume the worst.

If it's oscillating you'll see a very strong continuous signal, possibly
near the 100 mW level so start the spectrum analyzer on a high reference
level with some internal attenuation.

Bob NO6B