<<< see embedded responses below >>>

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Eric Lemmon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Your informant is essentially correct.  A sweep generator is an
> instrument that generates an AF or RF signal either linearly or
> logarithmically between a start and an end frequency.  By itself,
> it is useless for tuning cavities. However, when its sweep voltage
> is coupled to an oscilloscope's horizontal input, then we have a
> tool to visually characterize a cavity.  A spectrum analyzer is
> essentially an oscilloscope with its input filter being driven
> by a sweep generator.

W6NCT:  I thought that to be the case; and I have already tried to
connect the X/Y outputs from the sweep generator to my oscilloscope.
The scope's display does sweep; but it does nor look lik what I was
expecting.  I suspect that I don't have the rest of the test
confifured correctly.  Can you tell me how to connect the other inputs
and outputs to stimulate the cavity and see the response on the
oscilloscope?

> A tracking generator is not really a separate piece of equipment,
> but is simply an output of the spectrum analyzer that can be used
> to excite the unit under test.  The "tracking" in the name means
> that this signal generator is synchronized exactly with the sweep
> of the spectrum analyzer.  Thus, the display on the analyzer is a
> graphic representation of the frequency response of the unit under
> test.

W6NCT:  I would have expected that the Sweep Generator, when combined
with a connected oscilloscope would essentially result in the same
functionality as a tracking generator; since the Sweep generator seems
to both drive the DUT and the oscilloscope output display.  Am I wrong?

> A spectrum analyzer with a tracking generator, or better still,
> a vector network analyzer, are ideal for tuning duplexers, notch
> and bandpass filters, and ferrite isolators.

W6NCT:  This is nice information; but again, you are talking about
equipment I cannot afford.  Which is why I was asking my questions to
begin with.