  From: Bill Hudson
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2007 11:55 PM
  Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Zetron 38 vs. 38a

  Let me help you a little with this 38 vs. 38A thing.

  I would only want to use it if it was the only thing you had, and you
couldn't afford something else.

  IF, you were to have your choice, the 38A made several improvements.  Both
ID.  Both have "courtesy beeps."

  If you were talking to someone with a 38 on the repeater, and the other
station answers (keys up) during the hang delay, the repeater passes the audio
from the responding station, but drops out after the normal hang delay, and
keys up again, dropping critical words and carrier in the process.  The 38A
solved this, but still is junk.  There are different levels of junk for amateur
applications.  This could serve a purpose for commercial plain vanilla
applications.  Most of those applications have disappeared to more
sophisticated arrangements.

  It's not something that I would ever want to install.  The system I listen to
complains about it as often as they can, to the guy that "gifted" it to them.
Consider your alternatives and remember my constant reminder:  "When you buy
quality, it only hurts once."

  W6CBS

  Bill Hudson