I've seen HP 4935a "tims" units for almost nothing at the flea
markets and ebay. Not many people are using them anymore. Check out
Ebay Auction Item number: 220105642996 for one and do a search for
the other one or two I see on there now.

These units are killer for telco/wire line level send/receive & duplex
path service.  And you can find the matching digital cover test set
unit cheap.

cheers,
skipp