Look for a GM300 as opposed to a Maxtrac. The GMs have
a "channel steering" option that can be enabled in the RSS
and by grounding selected pins in the 16-pin jack on the
back you can binary select 8 or 9 (I think) channels... using
three or four bits in a binary pattern.

The 7K lets you output a 6-bit binary number to 6 pins on the
7K connector, the manual shows 5 on a TS32, the web page at
<http://www.scomcontrollers.com/tips/7k_ts64_motorola2.html>
shows how I set up a TS64 (uses 6 bits), you could set up a
crossband repeater with the PL board in it locked to one tone
(or DPL code), and use touchtone commands on the 7K to
"steer" the 2m GM300 to the channel you wanted to talk on.
Chapter 10 in the 7K manual has all the details on the (PW)03xx
command.

So take a UHF Maxtrac or GM300 and a high band GM300 and get
a few connector parts from DigiKey...

 From the "Maxtrac Interfacing" article web page at
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/maxtrac/maxtrac-interfacing.html>...
% The accessory connector shell part number is Digi-Key Part Number
% 104422-1-ND, made by AMP Corporation....
% At the time of this writing Digi-Keys price is about a US$1.50 each....
% The contact most appropriate for 22 AWG wire is Digi-Key Part Number
% A3007-ND ( AMP 1-87309-3) at about 14 cents each (or about US$12.50
% per hundred). And these pins are gold plated!

More info on the 16-pin connector is at
<http://www.repeater-builder.com/maxtrac/maxtrac-option-plug.html>

So print out the two articles, get a couple of connector bodies, a bunch
of pins, an SCom 7K and using the CTCSS tone select outputs on and
wire yourself up a crossband repeat cable with a Scom 7K in the middle.
Connect PLF1 through PLF3 to the channel steering lines in the GM300.

Program the startup macro to select channel 1 in the GM, and program
the GM so channel 1, 2 and 3 are infrequently used simplex channels
(like 146.535, 146.565 and 146.595) so you have places to test without
bothering anybody and 4-7 as your local 2m repeaters.  Then once you
get it working you can dump all but the channel 1 simplex...

Mike WA6ILQ