Eric,

I ran some load tests on a number of Motorola, GE, Astron, and Samlex power
supplies, including the TPN1110.  When connected to a suitably "stiff" 120
VAC power source, the TPN1110 is specified to deliver a quasi-regulated
output for the PA of 13.8 VDC at 25 amperes.  I use the term quasi-regulated
because the TPN1110 uses a ferro-resonant power transformer at the AC input
side, but the high-current output is not regulated.

Here is an excerpt of my load test on a new-in-box TPN1110B:

15.74 VDC at no load
15.06 VDC at 5.0 amps load
14.71 VDC at 10.0 amps load
14.37 VDC at 15.0 amps load
14.04 VDC at 20.0 amps load
13.74 VDC at 25.0 amps load
13.39 VDC at 30.0 amps load
13.01 VDC at 35.0 amps load

The test was performed with no loads on the other, regulated outputs of the
power supply.  My test bench has a dedicated 20-ampere circuit that varies
very little under a heavy load.  In fact, the AC input voltage to the
TPN1110 supply was 121.7 VAC at no load and 120.2 VAC at 35.0 amps DC load.
That's an extremely stiff power source.  Most residential receptacle
voltages are much less stiff, for a number of reasons, and may contribute to
less than satisfactory operation.

Try using a true-RMS digital multimeter to measure the AC input voltage of
your power supply when it is under load.  If it falls below 110 volts, the
ferro-resonant transformer may be unable to compensate for the undervoltage
condition.  The national standard for nominal receptacle voltage is 120 +/-
6 VAC.  You must use a true-RMS meter to read the input voltage, because its
input current is not a pure sine wave, and a conventional meter will not
read accurately.

The +9.6 VDC output of the TPN1110B power supply uses the same full-wave
rectifier as the high-current output.  It the 9.6 VDC output has a high
ripple content, one of the diodes in the full-wave rectifier may be open.
You can also use a scope to view the rectifier output to verify that
conduction occurs on each half cycle.  If all of this checks out, the
compensating capacitor at the transformer may be bad.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY