I ran across a problem on a M3 and various talkies.  For the most part
tone was a bit low and voice was really over deviated.  It was easy to
hit 6 or 7 kKz. of transmitter deviation.  The problem was talk down
of the repeater.  The real problem was the low end audio response of
the portable radios.  Most radios cut off voice below 300 hz. so that
it won't compete with subaudible tones.  Most ham talkies do not do
this.  Also the more modest desktop repeaters did not seem to have
this problem with talk down.

GE offers a text file that can be sent to the repeater that once keyed
with tone will hold until carrier squelch drops.  This is a simple
text file and really helped with the M3.

I know this is not the problem you are having with the Quantar, but
may be something to be aware of.  Steve NU5D