The idea with simulcast is to keep the non capture area as small as
possible.  Typically the capture area is that where the dominant
transmitter has a 10 dB or greater advantage.  In capture areas
subscribers hear only one signal  A good test is to broadcast different
audible tones from each site and see which tone is heard.

Running as high power as possible keeps the capture areas as large as
possible and minimizes non-capture areas.

For simulcast to work the signal in the non-capture area needs to arrive
in the non-capture area at the same time from each contributor.  Most
systems are designed in a straight line so that the outer sites don't
overlap.

The GPS signal is used to discipline a master oscillator at each site.
Every transmitter uses the same MO.  Depending on the number of
channels, you may want to use receiver voting along with bulk delay in a
1.544 mb/s T1 stream.

Contact Ed O'Connor at Simulcast Solutions or visit their site for some
good information.

http://www.simulcastsolutions.com/

73

Steve NU5D