Thanks Guys

Jim WK5Y
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Tom Parker
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, October 01, 2007 9:14 PM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Micor UHF PA

  Jeff you just gave away all the secrets... Good, concise job!

  Jeff DePolo wrote:

    The coupling cap between stages that is at the end of the semi-rigid coax
    can develop a bad connection as Tom said. Usually if it does, the pitting
    that occurs due to the arcing renders the cap's end plate too damaged to
    re-solder reliably, so replacing it is a good idea.

    The 25.5 pF caps across the collector-emitter can go bad. Usually this will
    manifest as somewhat-reduced output (depending on how many are bad), and/or
    power that jumps around.

    The little solder tabs that connect the RF ground on the substrates to DC
    ground along the top edge of the board will often develop bad connections
    and need to be re-flowed. When these open up you can have anything from low
    power out to spurs.

    The 0.01 uF DC decoupling caps that connect the output coax's shield to RF
    ground can go bad too, or develop a cold solder joint; usually these fail
    catastrophically so they're easy to spot.

    If you suspect a bad cap, sometimes you can locate the bad one by applying a
    little pressure with an insulated tuning tool while the transmitter is on.
    You might get lucky and catch it arcing as it makes and breaks the
    connection.

    Last but not least, a cracked ceramic substrate will cause all kinds of
    grief if the groundplane (underside of the substrate) breaks. A crack in
    the substrate itself isn't a problem, but if the copper cracks along with
    it, scrap it.

    --- Jeff