Thanks Ian.

I've realized my idea of soldering these two pieces together is
horrible. The length of invar rod from the top of the cavity to its
bottom attachment point may be critical for temperature compensation
of the cavity! I can't believe I was proposing to do such a thing!

Looks like I need to insulate it somehow. I've been trying for hours
to slip a piece of .005" PTFE sheet in that gap but it just won't go.

73,
Paul N1BUG