Nate,

I appreciate the sanity check. I've been known to overlook things
like that and make some fine blunders!

The gouges you refer to appear to be tool marks of some sort. What
you can't tell from the photo is it looks like they were made BEFORE
it was silver plated, so I'm assuming some tooling they used during
manufacture. They are not as deep as they appear in the photo.

Yup, I've checked the harness and connectors, etc. Yup, it does
misbehave off site when hooked to other radio(s). Here's a possible
clue I forgot to mention. The passband loss, SWR, and even the
notches appear to be quite stable when I tap on it (using test
equipment of course). However if tapped with transmit RF present,
noise on the receiver is very bad.

Two of the six cavities misbehave. The other four seem OK... for now...

I hate to chop on these at all! But...

Paul N1BUG