On Nov 7, 2007, at 9:14 AM, Adam Vazquez Kb2Jpd wrote:

> and there is a update in Part 97  where the control link frequency
> limit of 220 MHz has been lowered to 144 MHz. See QST for details.
>
> Adam kb2jpd

Actually if you want to be very specific about it, Auxiliary Stations
are now allowed down into portions of 2m.  It doesn't say anything
about "control link frequency" in Part 97.

Those are Auxiliary Stations, and the impetus for the change goes back
many years to Kenwood's petition to make SkyCommand split frequency 2m/
70cm operations legal in the U.S. a looooong time ago.

The change also came in handy for all the IRLP/EchoLink links that
were on the input/output of 2m repeaters, since they were probably
technically illegal until the change came along.  And it definitely
came in handy for those same IRLP/EchoLink nodes that operated on 2m
simplex, because they were completely illegal for years...

I apologize for continuing this thread, since we're really not
supposed to discuss Part 97 here... Kevin is being awfully patient
with all of us on this one...

--
Nate Duehr, WY0X