  From: Ken Arck
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, November 10, 2007 11:21 AM
  Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Possible interference on 146.160

  I DESPISE the proliferation of all these unlicensed wireless devices
  cropping up these days (I saw the downward spiral in wireless
  "professionalism" starting when the FCC started eliminating 1st, 2nd
  and 3rd Class RadioTelephone licenses and replacing them with the -
  IMHO - useless General RadioTelephone ticket). But I digress...

  After many years of operation with no problems, about 2 weeks ago we
  started experiencing an intermittent "hash" type interference on my
  434.xxx link receiver at one of my sites. It didn't appear on any
  other receiver up there - not the 146.320 nor the 446.900 one. When
  it occurs, it sounds a lot like horizontal sync buzz and usually
  lasts a few hours or so. Of course the link is toned so the buzz is a
  problem only as it relates to "capturing" a valid link signal being received.

  I went up to the site and luckily it was happening while I was there.
  According to my handheld, it was fairly weak and was wide - from
  about 200 kHz below my receive link channel to above it by almost 500
  kHz. This seems a bit narrow to be a video signal but I noticed
  towards the high end of the range, the buzz fades only to be replaced
  by a "quiet" carrier. Strange....

  I plan on taking my SA up there next week to see if I can better
  identify the offending signal but I suspect it's one of those low
  power, Part 15 434 mHz POS....

  Ken
  President and CTO - Arcom Communications
  Makers of repeater controllers and accessories.
  http://www.arcomcontrollers.com/
  Authorized Dealers for Kenwood and Telewave and
  we offer complete repeater packages!
  AH6LE/R - IRLP Node 3000
  http://www.irlp.net
  "We don't just make 'em. We use 'em!"