  _____

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Eric Lemmon
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2007 12:59 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Receiver overload

David,

This is definitely an interesting thread! I cannot think of a more suitable
topic to discuss in this forum.

You mentioned in your original post that you are using a converted 800 MHz
MaxTrac mobile radio as your 900 MHz receiver. Could you please elaborate a
bit on what you did in this conversion? Also, please advise what model
number of MaxTrac you began with. There may be some aspect of the
conversion that makes your receive radio especially vulnerable.

If you have already tried bandpass cavity filters on the receiver input,
with the radio inside a shielded box and all penetrations suitably filtered,
and not seen any reduction in desense, then the offending signal must be on
or very close to your desired receive frequency. That brings us back to a
spurious or harmonic signal being generated by the FM broadcast transmitter,
or perhaps there is an IM product being created between the FM station
carrier and another transmitter that has yet to be identified.

It may be instructive to use a good (i. e., well-shielded) spectrum analyzer
with a bandpass cavity on its input to filter out everything but signals
very close to your 900 MHz input frequency. This technique once helped me
track down a alarm system motion detector that was operating around 900 MHz.
Some spectrum analyzers are poorly shielded, and are practically useless
when immersed in a high-RF environment.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY