In my industry we also use rack mounting which is quite the reverse , with fan
forced air flow to move the heat so in my experience I stick by the comments
.Frankly having just installed a 3000 va ups here recently I prefer it being
off the floor anyway .

To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 16:14:59 -0800
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] 19" rack positioning question

            Barry,

With all due respect, I think the appropriate response to your statement is:

"Not necessarily."

The typical Motorola Micor 100 watt repeater station will have the duplexer

at the very bottom of the cabinet, with the power supply just above it.

Then follows the unified chassis, and finally the 100 watt PA at the top.

While your desire for cooling fans is well-intended, I daresay that the vast

majority of 100 watt Micor stations- many of which remain in service today-

are cooled solely by convection, and they seem to survive without fans.

Let us keep in mind that fans do not "cool" anything; they simply move air

around.  If the ambient temperature in an uncooled transmitter shack is 120

degrees Fahrenheit, the fan will simply raise the temperature inside the

cabinet to 120 degrees F- which might be higher than the temperature inside

the cabinet if no fans were used.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY