Very familiar with these , wonderfully well made and will outlast all of us
although in my part of the world they have fans Std .

To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 19:39:45 -0800
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] 19" rack positioning question

            I put a VHF repeater together this summer in a

Stromberg Carlson cabinet that the phone company

retired and had to install a fan in the top of the

cabinet to get the heat removed.  The cabinet was

insulated with one inch foam on top, bottom, sides and

doors.  It was a side-by-side rack cabnet with 19 inch

rack on one side and 26 inch rack on the other.  By

adding some 2 inch spacers to extend the rack rails

forward, a GE Mastr II repeater fit on the 19 inch

side, and by removing the 26 inch rack rails, the

duplexer fit into the other side of the cabinet.

There were places for two exhaust blowers in the top

of the cabinet with a flapper to close off the blower

hole when it was not energized.  The air entered the

cabinet directly under the 19 inch rack side, with an

RFI screen covering the hole and an air filter to

clean any debris out of the incoming air.  The whole

thing sits up about 2 feet off the ground, so it is

real handy to get at the equipment.  The 19 inch rack

side hinges out and access to the rear of the repeater

is excellent.

The GE power supply is on the bottom, with the

controller above it and the repeater at the top of the

rack.  I originally mounted the 50 deg C (about 105 F)

thermal switch on the power amp heat sink, but found

the temp got too high in the cabinet before the fan

came on.  By mounting the thermal switch to the top

plate of the power supply, I got the best temperature

control.  I only used one exhaust blower as the

flapper keeps the other hole sealed.

On a warm sunny day at 7000 ft, the temp inside the

cabinet rose to an uncomfortable 120 degrees (80 deg

outside) until the fan was installed.  With the fan

controlled by the thermal switch on top of the power

supply, the temp felt as cool inside the cabinet as

outside the cabinet.  I should mention that this is an

outdoor cabinet and is sealed completely to keep any

water out.  All entry points for wiring and coax are

on the bottom of the cabinet.  Exhaust air is into a

pleneum at the top of the cabined with a screened

outlet across the front.

The GE power supply has vent holes in the bottom,

which wound up being directly above the 1 foot square

vent hole in the bottom of the cabinet, so as soon as

the fan comes on, outside air is brought directly into

and around the power supply.  I plugged the entry hole

in the other side of the cabinet with a piece of

plywood, and the duplexer sits above it, so no outside

air necessary there.

It took a crane to get this cabinet installed on the

concrete footers we poured, as it weighs about 1500 #

with the equipment installed.

There are a number of pictures of this installation if

anyone is interested:

http://sbarcnm.org/CamelotInstallThumbnails.html

73 - Jim  W5ZIT

--- Eric Lemmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Barry,

> With all due respect, I think the appropriate

> response to your statement is:

> "Not necessarily."

> The typical Motorola Micor 100 watt repeater station

> will have the duplexer

> at the very bottom of the cabinet, with the power

> supply just above it.

> Then follows the unified chassis, and finally the

> 100 watt PA at the top.

> While your desire for cooling fans is well-intended,

> I daresay that the vast

> majority of 100 watt Micor stations- many of which

> remain in service today-

> are cooled solely by convection, and they seem to

> survive without fans.

> Let us keep in mind that fans do not "cool"

> anything; they simply move air

> around.  If the ambient temperature in an uncooled

> transmitter shack is 120

> degrees Fahrenheit, the fan will simply raise the

> temperature inside the

> cabinet to 120 degrees F- which might be higher than

> the temperature inside

> the cabinet if no fans were used.

> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

Be a better pen pal.

Text or chat with friends inside Yahoo! Mail. See how.
http://overview.mail.yahoo.com/

Overpaid or Underpaid? Check our comprehensive Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT