Mark,

I once helped maintain three of the older Icom repeaters for a club. They had a
similar arrangement to what you describe...built-in 12V supply, with binding
posts for direct 12 VDC input, but not an adequate charging system.

All our sites featured well-maintained generator back-up, so we never did an
emergency DC supply, but we did kick some ideas around.

One was a separate charger with a DPDT relay. The relay's coil was powered by
the AC line; the normally closed contacts were connected to the (+) and (-)
binding posts on the back of the repeater; the normally open contacts to the
(+) and (-) from the charger, and the common contacts to the (+) and (-) from
the battery.

Most linear power supplies have big enough capacitors to keep the repeater up,
even in transmit, for the few milliseconds it takes the relay to switch, and
the closer that decaying voltage is to the 13.6 or so volts of a floating
lead-acid battery, the less current is switched by the relay contacts. 20-amp
relays with coils set up for 117 VAC are common.

I didn't like this idea because it didn't provide any protection from
brownouts. (Like dropping a phase on the 440 3-phase coming into a broadcast
transmitter facility.)

Another reasonable approach might be a switching supply which could output a
regulated 13.6 VDC with inputs from 10.5V (death's door for a six-cell
lead-acid battery) to, say, 20V (from an unregulated charger capable of 13.6
VDC during transmit.) Just parallel the charger's output (thru a diode to
isolate it during blackouts or brownouts), the battery and the switching
supply's input, and the repeater would never see anything other than perfect
13.6 VDC unless the battery ran all the way down before power returned.

I've since been spoiled by a whole different approach. I built a UHF repeater
that was completely "off the grid." It used Repco RFID data boards rescued from
a dumpster and repaired. The 2-watt transmitter, receiver, adapted Motrac
helical preselector and S-com 5K drew a total of under 1 amp, key-down. That
meant a group-27 size deep-cycle marine battery, rated for 100 amp-hours, would
run the repeater key down for more than four days with no charging whatsoever.

The system was charged by a single solar panel which made 3 amps at 13.6 volts
or better for much of each day. The charge controller was a simple relay which
took the solar panel offline when the battery hit 14 volts each day, and reset
at sunset. This system was crude, but worked great in Orlando, FL. Even if the
repeater had been busy for hours the night before, the battery generally
reached full charge by 11am the next morning. (I knew because the 5K was
programmed with a macro to switch to a different CWID and longer tail when the
charge relay had energized to drop the panel offline.)

I only tell you all this because the experience got me very interested in using
solar to augment or replace commercial AC power for charging batteries. Even
when I replaced the Repco boards with a GE Mastr II mobile conversion and a 7K,
there might have been enough power available to keep the repeater up
indefinitely in light usage. Four panels like the one I used, more battery
capacity and a more sophisticated charge controller would probably have been
enough to cover a 100% duty cycle for at least a day-long emergency net or
public service event.

I don't know what your budget is, but the cost of panels has come down. A more
sophisticated shunt-type charge controller could leave the battery at full
charge at sundown each day, rather than shutting down for the day at 11am like
my one-shot relay did. (I later connected a logic output from the controller to
allow restarting the charger in the afternoon using a DTMF command or a
start-of-activity macro, to leave the battery closer to 100% at sundown.)

I've also been amazed lately by the new, small wind turbines. Many repeater
sites have consistent enough winds to make this a viable option. A hybrid
system combining part-solar and part-wind would be almost infallible. Neither
sun nor wind are 100% reliable, but there are few moments at most hilltop
repeater sites when you don't have at least one of the two.

73,
Paul, AE4KR