Mark,

There have been some good suggestions. However, there are two issues
that you need to watch carefully for remote battery backup operation.
The first, as some have mentioned, is the charge current if the
battery is run down and AC power comes back.

For example, if you just tie a battery across your power supply (with
a diode or whatever), it will be a great back up. But after it has
run on the battery for many hours and the AC power comes back up, the
power supply will send a bunch of current to try to charge the nearly
dead battery. This will almost certainly blow the fuse between the
power supply and battery as it could be 100 or more amps.

A simple solution is to run the repeater off the battery and just use
a charger to keep the battery happy (charged or uncharged).

While this sounds good, it exposes a huge problem that is often
overlooked. And that is what happens when the battery runs down.

Running the battery completely down does two things, first it
drastically reduces the number of times it can be charged and second
it usually ends up in transmitter cycling mode for many hours or days.

[Transmitter cycling mode is when the battery runs down far enough
that it can't power the transmitter, but can barely power the
controller. This ends up with the controller coming on, which keys
the transmitter to ID, then the battery voltage drops (because of the
transmitter) and the controller turns off because the voltage is too
low. The transmitter goes off when the controller goes off and the
battery voltage slowly increases back to the point to where the
controller will come on. Repeat this for days and days or until the
battery is completely dead and probably could never be charged again]

To combat these two issues, there are two options. One is to power
the system off the battery and use a small power supply to charge it,
but then insert a battery controller system to handle the charging
and Low Voltage Disconnect (LVD).

The are plenty of 20 amp solar panel controllers for around $50 that
will handle nearly everything for you. Larger ones are also available.

The second method is to modify a simple Uninterruptible Power Supply
(UPS). Just take the battery out and connect your larger external
battery in its place. It will take care of the charging, LVD and give
you 110 volts. Just be sure to pick one that is rated twice of your
max watts. If your repeater draws 20 amps at 12 volts, that's 240
watts. So be sure to get a 600 watt UPS (or higher).

Used 1200 watt UPSs are under $50 on ebay. Many of them that cheap
may have a bad battery. Since you're going to use your own external
120 AH (or whatever) battery, it would not matter if the used one is
bad. You get the better deal since no one else wants to buy a UPS
with a dead battery.

I have both types and while the solar controller method is more
efficient, the UPS method is somewhat easier. Take your pick.

Dwayne Kincaid
WD8OYG