Re: power supply / battery system for  repeater site

The question is... what are we trying to do with the end result?
Switch off a device after x-time of non use and/or protect a
battery bank from discharge?

Most newer Kenwood Radios I sell have non-use power off timers
built right into the programming. Most users don't want to
use the function.... seems to be a major issue for them to have to
press the power-on button when they get back in the vehicle.
And no-one seems to want the ignition key sense wire used anymore.

I have a very remote location - solar only radio site with a
marginal panel/array charging capacity. In the winter evenings
after everyone goes home the site goes to sleep with the Low
Voltage Disconnect.

In the early morning the site wakes up after a short panel charge
restoration (study the re-connect operation of the Newmar LVD) and
works the whole day long. No one complains because the repeater is
working during business hours and some time past well into the
evening before going back to sleep. Spring, Summer, fall and most
well lighted winter days find the site receives enough solar charge
to stay on 24 hours.

And the site operates off common 8D size lead acid truck batteries
and has been for a few years. The previous owner couldn't keep the
site up/going long term.  What started out as an emergency battery
bank replacement turns out to work very well long term. The 8D Truck
Batteries are so cheap I'll simply replace them after 5 years and
be well ahead of the deep-cycle battery cost curve.

Sometimes the simple path actually works.

cheers,
skipp