Jim Cicirello wrote:

*Hi Kevin, As always thanks for your help. Can I tell you what I am doing and what is happening so you can yell me why?*

* *

*First the only problem I am having is after the CTCSS becomes active then drops, the tail of the NHRC will broadcast NON PL signals or interference for the duration of the tail. I need to mute the non PL audio coming into the controller after the CTCSS DECODE STOPS. *

* *

*I am using the Repeater Builder Circuit you suggested and the CTCSS Decode goes thru the transistor/relay switch hooked to the receiver COS. Now if there is noise on the RX the switch stays active as it is responding to CAS not tone. I would like to have a way for the switch to respond to tone, rather than CAS. *

* *

*Because I don't always describe things, let me give you an example:*

* *

*I put the service monitor on the repeater and generate a noisy CSQ signal. The receiver responds, but the controller waits for PL. Then I turn on the PL and the NHRC-4 repeats and I hear the noise from the generator coming through the HT set for tone squelch. Now I shut off the tone on the generator and the HT goes quiet. If you listen to the output of the repeater using carrier squelch you can hear the noise from the service monitor for the duration of the tail. The tail closes, the controller stops and all is quiet until another PL brings up the controller. *

* *

*I need to mute the controller without affecting the RX audio or the output that sends the Tones and CW ID.*

*

Maybe you have two audio paths?  What?

It would seem to me that your repeat audio is not going through the controller, or maybe not all of it is. I have seen instances where the _original_ audio path in a repeater hadn't been removed when a controller was installed, and the situation you are describing happened. The NHRC-4 controller is designed to mute the audio any time the COS light is out. It handles audio muting and keying with "and squelch" logic, so unless something is wrong with the controller, the audio should mute when the PL is removed (minus a short response time). Could it be possible that you have two audio paths? Doing some simple tests will reveal it. Push a few touchtones and see if you hear them come through the repeater transmitter (assuming you have DTMF muting enabled). Turn the RX audio pot all the way down and see if there is still audio passing through the repeater.

Scoping the audio path will also help you determine were the audio path is going astray.

Kevin
*