Just so we're singing from the same page, a few comments first.

Pointing the dipoles all in one direction, for instance, increases the
gain of a DB224 from 6dbd to 9dbd in the favored direction.  And off
the *back*, there is still a gain of 3dbd.  It has a front-to-back
ratio of 6db.  Useful, but not really a "beam".  The -3db beamwidth of
the front lobe of this "beam" is somewhere near 180 degrees.  So the
point is that aiming any one, or several, dipoles toward openings
between buildings is probably not going to help huge amounts.

Taking your idea a step further, it would be interesting how 3 real
beams, fed with a power splitter, would work in this case.

Back to the DB224 antennas, the RF lobe maximums aren't always in the
direction that the dipoles are facing.  As described by an engineer at
DB Products, if you point 2 dipoles north, and the other 2 dipoles
south, you will end up with a pattern favoring east and west with
.75db more gain in those directions than the omni configuration.  Must
be because east and west both "see" all four dipoles...  Fun, huh?

Laryn K8TVZ

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "dallasreact112"