On the topic, I'm looking for good mobiles to make repeaters from. I like Motorola a lot, but programming software is expensive and so are the radios. With that said, I'd like to have access to on the back of the radio to:

RX audio at a reasonable level (not speaker) (muted by COS _OR_ PL)
Carrier detect (COS/COR/Noise Squelch)
PL detect
TX audio at a reasonable level (not an un-amplified mic level input)
PTT
PL strip (turn the PL on/off at will)

Cost $250 range
Programming software < $arm+leg

In any event, I'd use the transmitter as an exciter in the 1-5w range, so expect that heat should be a problem in that range of output.

So I've taken this discussion WAY far to the other side of the F221 perhaps, but I think this is kind of a universal need for many of us. My main reason for this is that I'm looking at making a system with multiple remote receivers. I'd like one radio building block that could perform any of the functions from repeater main receiver or exciter, to remote receiver, link transmitter, link receiver, etc. If I could find one cost-effective radio to use this way, It would make life really easy (I know, life's not fair, but we could get a break every now and again?).

73 DE N0MJS