Sounds to me like local oscillator or one of the mixer oscilators is
leaking back through the antenna jack.

If it is a 'hash' that could also be a switch mode power supply making
the interference, but that is usually only a problem on 80m, unless
the SMPS is on 600kHz, in which case as soon as the transmiter keys
they mix and you get garbage.

I saw a report where a guys TV was interfering with the national
distress channel on VHF and they made him shut it off and never turn
it on again. Luckily the manufacturer replaced it as 'Defective'.