At 05:22 3/25/2008, Steve S. Bosshard (NU5D) wrote:
>any protection diodes - 10 amp protection diode against 400 amp starter
>current - no contest.

Steve, this confuses the dickens out of me.   I now understand the
reverse polarity part, but won't the protection diode be reverse
direction, and therefore the only relevant stat is the reverse
voltage, 12v, and therefore presumably within ratings?

I don't see what the current has to do with it because the diode will
be non-conducting.   The current rating is only for the conducting
direction, right?

--
Dave Gomberg, San Francisco   NE5EE     gomberg1 at wcf dot com
All addresses, phones, etc. at http://www.wcf.com/ham/info.html