Having the same rig for all would be nice.  In an EOC this is possible.

However, the value of Ham Radio to a community is the Hams have a supply of
radios they bought, maintain and learn to use.  Can one see the vast cost if
say 50 Hams/people had to be supplied equipment at gov expense.  Would not
happen.

And since we all have wants, prefer different manufacturer's rigs for many
reasons one type or model rig is not going to happen.  And of course this leads
to the Hams coming out of the wood work in a disaster they have little
knowledge with the equipment in place except for their own.

73, ron, n9ee/r

>From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Date: 2008/03/26 Wed PM 12:19:37 CDT
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Off Topic, trying not to re-invent the
>wheel...

>Sorry to add my 3 cents worth. But the best way to deal with this problem or
>any emergency problem is routine monthly training. The radios your key people
>use during an emergency should be in the same category as their own radios.
>We use icom 2820's through our whole ARES/RACES system with no problem.  But
>there again, it all comes down to training and practice and teamwork. sorry
>for butting in.    ----- Original Message -----   From:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com    Sent: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:57
>AM  Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Off   Topic, trying not to re-invent the
>wheel...
>
>At 3/26/2008 06:29, you wrote:
>
>>Radios at emergency opperating   positions that will be used by Ham people in
>>an emergency need to be   commercial radios that are idiot proof.
>
>Sounds like a good idea on the   surface, but the lack of VFO mode IMO
>severely limits its usefulness in an   emergency. What if only a handful of
>repeaters are left on the air &   none of them are programmed into the
>radios? A user-programmable radio   like the Kenwood TK-805D is a
>possibility, but to be effective the user   must know how to program it. As
>I'm sitting here at the keyboard I've   already forgotten how to program mine.
>
>>We tried the Ham radio in   emergency com centers for years and they worked
>>great but when the E.C.   went to the EOC during an activation and could not
>>figure out how to   set the pl because someone fooled with the buttons
>>between activations   the radio was useless and these were very simple single
>>band   radios.
>
>IMO anyone who can't figure out how to use their radio   shouldn't be
>volunteering. That is supposedly what distinguishes hams from   the general
>population: our operating expertise.
>
>Bob   NO6B

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575