Anyone trying to get power from a RS232 port to power external devices is
asking for trouble like being experienced here.

There is nothing in the RS232 spec that spec current capabilities other than
providing voltages at driving impedances.  One might take one port, make
measurements and say this is what is needed or can be done.  However, another
port on a different device/computer will have different parameters and still
meet spec.

This is one of these issues where the designer just before he got fired says
"well it works here".  The next designer is left to clean up the mess.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE
727-376-6575
MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS