We added an extension to this system in Greenville, Tx (about 50 miles NE of
Dallas) located on the roof of the local hospital.  We had an input on 426 with
a beam for the Dallas feed and on 43x? to allow local crossband repeat to the
900 mHz band.  We later installed a 1296 input when a radar was installed at
Majors Field in Greenville.  We would switch from the Dallas feed to the local
feed when the weather became more local to the Greenville area.  We did ID the
900 mHz output every 10 minutes, but when we had bad weather in the area, we
did not allow any local repeat operations through the ATV repeater.  The
repeater was TT controlled through a 440 receiver, which selected the input
frequency and turned the system on/off.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote: I was in a group that operated a 426 MHz ATV repeater
(transmitter) for over 10 years in Dallas (1980's), whose initial purpose was
the "rebroadcast" of color weather radar from a local TV station for mobile
storm spotters. This was well before the days of the Internet providing free
and easy access to their weather radar images as they do today. Back then, it
was a big deal to have the radar image in your car as you storm spotted. We got
the video from the TV station, beamed it up to the top of a building on 1.2
GHz, downconverted and then fed all of this into an ATV transmitter/amplifier
to a 5 dB omni gain antenna atop a 73 story building, the highest in Dallas. We
controlled the system via phone line at the station. We eventually shut down
the system after Internet images were becoming easy to acquire and we
eventually gave up our cheap rented location. We knew the FCC was aware of the
system from the first, as we approached the local FCC
 office in Dallas with our idea and they said "Great idea". We took that as a
"yes" and the rest is history. The system was only active during severe storm
times and regularly scheduled RACES training nets. We never heard of anyone
mentioning that the system was indeed in the broadcasting mode for over a
decade.

Roger W5RD