WM4B

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Nate Duehr
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2008 4:10 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Bad adapter

Wayne wrote:
> Looking at the pictures gives me a couple of ideas.
> first is that the person who cut the heliax must be really dense to think
> he could get away with it. All one needs to do is trace that other coax to

> wherever. Plus it might be possible to lift fingerprints from the heliax.

CSI: Radio Towers -- Coming soon to CBS!

(We already tried CSI: Cedar Rapids but it didn't do well with the
audiences -- they fell asleep.)

Maybe Kevin or Scott could be called in as "expert witness" special
guest stars?

And of course, all radio sites will have to be dark, so even mid-day the
investigators will have to look around with powerful flashlights to find
that "one clue they missed at the scene when they were there two days ago".

LOL!

> Second, looks like the Heliax could be spliced back together with proper
> connector(s), but would be a job and a bit of a bump in loss?

Amphenol actually does make a (relatively expensive) hardline splicing
kit. Works well, according to the club techs who had to use one once on
one of our runs of 7/8 that was damaged.

> I actually have a question here about loss. What would be the loss in one
> male and one female 7/8" N connector for Heliax? My thought is with the
> idea of possibly moving my antenna in the future, if I can eventually
> manage a taller tower.

If you can't do new feedline for the whole run, get a splicing kit and
not connectors.

Better yet, consider it part of the "cost of moving" and don't move if
you can't replace the line. That'd be my "take" on it.

Build to commercial standards, or don't build... you'll only be back
later fixing it... like anything else "hammy" I've ever seen/dealt with.

But we all here understand the reality of budgets, or lack thereof...
(sigh)...

Nate WY0X

<<image001.jpg>>

<<image002.jpg>>