You don't have to use Scotchkote... it's just easy to find, well
known and well trusted as a solution sealer.

Dip-it breaks down pretty fast and I'm sure the sun would
probably beat it up pretty bad.

There are other sealers that work well... but Scotchkote is the
most practical answer for most of the common projects where it
fits well.

cheers,
s.