At 5/4/2008 04:48, you wrote:

>Setting up a remote base can be a chore.
>
>What one wants in it is so often so different. Most simply want a link to
>another repeater or frequency. With this one can talk about the gerneric
>interface using ptt, rx & tx audio and cos. The first 3 are easy to get,
>but still require some conditioning. The COS, unless one is using a
>commercial rig, has to be dug into the radio and found. It is there, but
>where and there are so many rigs.

The above is trivial IMO.  I'm talking about full radio control.

>Now if one wants freq control then the various manufactures use different
>standards requiring a custom interface for each. Some manufactures have
>radically different protocol from radio to radio. Yeasu is famous for
>this. Things have settled somewhat. One could take a PC and use something
>like HRD or the like, but now one is getting into a lot of hardware, not
>just a radio.

I think microcontrollers of today are capable enough to handle this.  All
that is needed is some memory to handle lookup tables for the various
protocols & extra program code, and maybe even a DTMF encoder for
controlling radios like the Kenwood TM-G707.  Speed should not be an issue.

Bob NO6B