Get rid of the LMR400 and replace it with some kind of hardline.

Vern

KI4ONW

From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of jstechnicalservice
Sent: Thursday, May 08, 2008 9:08 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Best coax for short jumpers in repeater
cabinet?

Thanks, Ron
Here is more information on what we have. The HAAT is 122ft., we
currently have a Maxrad MFB-1503 3db antenna and LMR400 coax. We are
using a ST2 Midland at 110W and there is some type of older pre-amp
installed with no tag, but has 6db hand written on it. Any
suggestions for improvement will be appreciated but we do have a
limited budget, especially with the impending rebanding. We want the
high-band repeater in place for backup when this happens and also as
our primary for the time being.

> Jeff,
>
> To really give advice here what HAAT is your antenna. At 100 ft
AGL 14 miles is about the expected range. Still depends on your
terrain.

> As for feedline I think the LMR400 is a double shielded coax with 2
different shield materials. It has been found these generate noise
on the tx side from the high RF. This would affect rcv. Probably
good for rcv, but my standard is have nothing in a repeater that
causes problems.

> I use either RG214 double shielded RG8 size and also 1/4" heliax.
Both give good shielding and with short pieces little loss. Also
RG142 which is a double shielded RG58 size cable often silver
shield. Motorola and others use this inside their equipment.

> Never use double shielded cable with the 2 shields of different
material like 9913 or some of the LMR stuff. Again the tx high RF
will generate noise.

> 73, ron, n9ee/r
>

> >From: jstechnicalservice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Date: 2008/05/08 Thu PM 12:30:30 CDT
> >To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:Repeater-Builder%40yahoogroups.com>