Without looking at the rest of the replies, I will comment here on the
cable you have. replace that LMR400 with heliax. LDF4050A or better,
LDF5-50A or equivalent
 You can get a good eal on Heliax and connectors from:
<http://www.surpluscoax.com/index.html>
 The LDF5-50A is $2.55 per foot, less than 1/2 of the usual price for
this cable, and their shipping charges are reasonable. Buy cable and
connectors at the same time, and buy the correct connectors for the
cable you buy. This alone will actually help on the receive, not to
mention the transmit. Add a better antenna as well.

 I have not heard from them yet, but I may wind up helping the local
VFD here get their system on the air.
 Not sure what they have in the vehicles, but the main base unit is an
MTR2000 Motorla, and the tower is about 85 feet high (27 meters
according to the information on the FCC web site). But not sure about
the antennas or coax being used yet either. I will not look too deep
till I know more.

 the use of cables like LMR400 is frowned on for repeater use, and may
not do as well as even 1/2" Heliax can do. the 7/8" Heliax would be far
better. I have 7/8" Heliax for use with my 440 repeater, and figure it
will help me to have decent range, even though I won't have the antenna
very high for the time being.

 in the cabinet, as others have mentioned, use a good double shieleded
coax like RG142, RG214 or similar. Even tyhere, avoid the stuff with
foil and braid mixed.

 YMMV

 Wayne WA2YNE

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "jstechnicalservice"