Jeff,

I think the LMR400 is a double shielded with each shield different metals. One braid and one foil. This is a no-no for duplexed repeaters for the higher TX RF will generate noise getting into receiver. I recommend at least 1/2" heliax. Know cost, but well worth the cost. 7/8" even better, but with your 150 ft or so run 1/2" would be ok.

At 122 ft HAAT you can get 30 miles to a mobile, but this is assuming flat terrain. To an HT not unless one is on a mountain or air plane, hi.

However, your 3 db gain antenna is room for improvement. If possible put up commercial grade 6 db like the DB224. Might find one used. They go for about $450 new. 3 db gain antenna for repeater is low. Would improve tx and rx. Some say only 3 db, but you will see notable difference.

With you running 100 W on TX I am sure the portables can hear the repeater, but trying to get back with 5 W 14 miles is pretty good. Installing the pre-amp will help, but only if the tx does not cause desense. Might try turn power down to say 40 W. Not necessary to run 100 W when listening to 5 W HT. However, if see little change with 100/40 W then leave at 100 W.

You may be to the limit of your system and it may be working well and as good as one might expect.

The changes I recommend is improve antenna, 1/2" or larger heliax and install pre-amp. Start with pre-amp. If tx don't over power it you will see improvement and is easy addition. Otherwise I think the equipment on the ground is good as is.

73, ron, n9ee/r

Ron Wright, N9EE

727-376-6575

MICRO COMPUTER CONCEPTS