Why is it that it seems to be hard to locate the updated part 97.201
other than on the ARRL web site?
  I searched and searched but only came up with the older version till I
searched on the ARRL site.

  At any rate, it does now allow one to use parts of two meter as control
links.
  Arguing otherwise is futile, no matter how one looks at it.
  I would agree that it would be better to use a coordinated link when
practical, plus best to use a link that is either at least 5 MHz away on
say 70 centimeters, or on a different band, with good filtering on the RX
to prevent problems from nearby strong signals. And using CTCSS helps
prevent problems as well. For many, using a less commonly used tone might
help. Also, by using a link frequency that was assigned, or at least
coordinated gives one some degree of protection.

  Regarding using a receiver only at the repeater site, still means there
is a transmitter to access said RX unit. So it still comes under control
link.

  I have heard hams try to interpret the rules to say something other than
what is in plain language.
  As an example, some tried to say that a repeater owner was resposible for
any non legal talk or communications on his repeater, such as foul
language. Not true, unless the owner or control operator does nothing to
control it once said control is aware of the problem. This is as simple as
shutting down the repeater at the time.

  Let us keep this to facts, not what was or what never was fact...
  YMMV

  Wayne WA2YNE
  441.950TX 446.950RX CG Tone167.9 (Mine is a GE).

On Sat, 17 May 2008 22:11:11 -0500, MCH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> But the users at the control points transmit. In WPA, such links are
> coordinated for a particular radius in which the station is
> "coordinated". It helps assure that the receiver does not receive
> interference from other such links.
>
> Joe M.
>
> Kris Kirby wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 May 2008, Ron Wright wrote:
>>> ยง97.213 Telecommand of an amateur station..... If radio, the control
>>> link must use an auxiliary station.
>>>
>>> This says it all.  A control link for controlling a repeater by radio
>>> is an auxiliary station.  Also in 97.201 the freq coordination for Aux
>>> stations follows similar to repeaters.  If interference the
>>> coordinated aux station has preference over non-coordinated.
>>
>> I really don't want to split hairs further, but there is a thought here
>> that occurs to me -- the FCC does not require recievers to be licensed.
>>
>> If you are using the "control link" as a recieve-only radio... What
>> coordination would be required? Is it an auxilary station? If the radio
>> doesn't transmit....
>>
>> --
>> Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

<*> Your email settings: