It isn't about the radios - it's about systems.

The Tyco rep was bashing Motorola because the EDACS platform supports
analog talkgroups and/or digital talkgroups as desired by the system
administrator whereas the latest Motorola systems - Smartzone 6.X and
7.X are P25 standards based and are exclusively digital.

Nevermind the fact that Motorola's legacy 3600 baud control channel
systems such as Smartzone 4.X support mixed mode operation [either
analog or digital talkgroups or both] just as EDACS does.  I guess I'd
have asked him about analog talkgroups on Opensky.

Systems aside - virtually all P25 radios can do conventional analog
simplex, but, as others have posted - most systems are configured to
keep all traffic on the system. Even if direct simplex operation is
desired for use on scene - many systems are on 800 MHZ where there can
be issues obtaining frequencies.

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Miller WB5OXQ in Waco"