Many years ago, I tuned up a set of 220Mhz homebrew duplexers with a
5Mhz scope.  I built a 50 ohm load into an aluminum mini-box and placed
a diode inside the box near the load.  I then used the scope to detect
the voltage developed by the diode as the power increased or decreased.
This was a very crude way of tuning the duplexer, but it did work.
Those were the fun days when you really didn't know you were doing
things the wrong way, but you still could make things work.  I remember
driving 5 miles from my house and being able to key up the repeater with
my Midland 13-509.  I was ecstatic!  Oh, for the simpler days of Midland
repeaters and Hamtronics controllers.  You wonder how we ever talked to
anyone on those crappy repeaters.

73, Joe, K1ike