Ron,
    I've often used "All-Thread" for U bolts and V bolts, you know, the
continuously threaded rod often found at the local hardware store. The
all-thread is easily wrapped around a piece of pipe or angle by putting one
end into a vise and inserting the other end part way into a short section of
3/4" pipe or conduit and bent into shape around a mandrel. One might need to
apply some heat to the rod if the bending angle is really sharp, but I've
never had to with the ones I've delt with.

    The all-thread comes in many sizes and lengths and is easily cut to size
with a hacksaw. (Do this only after it is bent to shape and some nuts
screwed on before cutting!) The V shaped grooves of the all-thread bite into
the tower leg and don't slip.

    Last year I disassembled an AM broadcast skirt antenna that I installed
in 1975 using hardware held together with the all-thead U bolts I made back
then. This was on a tower with four inch diameter legs. The tower was
rusting from the inside of the legs and needed to be replaced but the 1/2"
all-thread was still in perfect shape more than thirty years later.

    It goes without saying that these bolts need to be kept painted as they
are bare steel. I used Rustoleum for this. After the first coat they got
repainted every time we had the tower painted.

Good luck,
Al, K9SI