From: Al Wolfe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: antenna mounting hardware
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 12:59 AM

            Ron,

    I've often used "All-Thread" for U bolts and V bolts, you know, the

continuously threaded rod often found at the local hardware store. The

all-thread is easily wrapped around a piece of pipe or angle by putting one

end into a vise and inserting the other end part way into a short section of

3/4" pipe or conduit and bent into shape around a mandrel. One might need to

apply some heat to the rod if the bending angle is really sharp, but I've

never had to with the ones I've delt with.

The all-thread comes in many sizes and lengths and is easily cut to size

with a hacksaw. (Do this only after it is bent to shape and some nuts

screwed on before cutting!) The V shaped grooves of the all-thread bite into

the tower leg and don't slip.

Last year I disassembled an AM broadcast skirt antenna that I installed

in 1975 using hardware held together with the all-thead U bolts I made back

then. This was on a tower with four inch diameter legs. The tower was

rusting from the inside of the legs and needed to be replaced but the 1/2"

all-thread was still in perfect shape more than thirty years later.

It goes without saying that these bolts need to be kept painted as they

are bare steel. I used Rustoleum for this. After the first coat they got

repainted every time we had the tower painted.

Good luck,

Al, K9SI

> Does anyone know of a source or V-clamps or the like

> for 5.25" legs???

> This has to be hardware that will last 20 years and not

> hose clamps which I have.

> 73, ron, n9ee/r

    __._,_