Thanks to all who responded so far.  I spent a couple hours at the site
today doing prep work and as soon as I got home I spent a few minutes
working on the repeater.  I found that there was JUST enough room for a UHF
to N adapter and an N elbow in back of the transmitter, which allowed me to
eliminate the RG-8X.  With that in place, I reconnected to the cans and it
looks like all will be well.

I've spent so much time tweaking the cans so far I feel like I need to start
over again, but I feel pretty confident that the RG-8X is the culprit.  All
I need to do now is get some good double shielded stuff (as soon as I can
find a piece) and replace it.

I'll report back again once the problem is totally solved.

Thanks again,

Mike

WM4B