I use the X50A (same thing just N type connector) on the W3AHS-R
repeater here in Williamsport, PA.  I have used it since 2001 with no
problems, in fact I have 2 of them up there and the 440 Link radio
also shares it and have not had any problems.  It is mounted on the
roof of the high school which sit on top of a hill about 1000 ft.
elev.  I know another guy who has used it for an APRS digi up on the
2,000 ft Williamsport Bald Eagle mountain even before that and it is
still holding. As far as the gain.  Yeah its a little low but for UHF
its a little higher.  I have talked mobile to Laporte, base stations
in Hazleton, mobile to Mill Hall and even on Route 80 at the
Clinton/Centre County line and about 20 miles to the south (good ol
2000 ft mountain in the way).  I guess you can see what I think of it.

73
John KB3AWQ