On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Bob M. wrote:
> We tried all of those suggestions. He turns a few things down, for a
> while, then when one or two people (with worse hearing or equipment
> than he) complains, he just turns it back up again, figuring since
> nobody complained any more, he must have turned it down too far.
>
> The main repeater is a brand new (well, now 1 year old) Kenwood that's
> feeding a 200w amp. If he had left it as it came from the factory and
> not tweaked and twiddled every setting, we wouldn't be having this
> discussion since there wouldn't be any over-deviation, just excessive
> limiting going on, but at least it would be filtered and would
> peacefully coexist with its neighbors 25 kHz away.
>
> I'm lucky; my repeater is only a mile or two away but it's 50 kHz away
> and with the same in/out relationship, so I don't have any problems.
>
> The problem with showing up, equipment in hand, ready and willing to
> help, is that when I did that one time long ago, I became his resident
> fix-it man, and he called me for everything, and it became too much of
> a bother because he just wouldn't leave well-enough alone. Even after
> adjusting everything to spec, he still tweaked things himself. So no
> one volunteers like that any more. They get sucked in and then there's
> no way out.

Then perhaps enforcement is the best way to handle it. I don't know of
what else to do other than get a group of hams together and have an
intervention: "Look, we're not trying to railroad you here, but your
repeater is operating way out of spec...."

Unfortunately, he still trusts his ears. We all have that tendency. The
best video engineer my father ever met was color-blind. He used the
tools at his disposal to set up the video monitors and equipment because
he couldn't trust his eyes.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
But remember, with no superpowers comes no responsibility.