You can use microphones for MaxTracs in your GM300 radios. I'm pretty sure they
will also work in the DeskTrac. EBay always has dozens for sale. It's just a
matter of whether you want new or used.

Some MaxTracs do drift. I've actually seen them go as much as 300 Hz off
frequency while transmitting, and it's not as if something heats up. The
microprocessor in the radio TELLS it to change frequency. Most annoying.

GM300s suffer from dirty contacts between the logic and RF boards. MaxTracs
could suffer from the same thing, but for some reason seem to be less prone to
it. The only fix is to remove both boards, clean the pins on the connector, and
reinstall everything. Not difficult, but you have to take just about the entire
radio apart. This might fix the 1 kHz error but the 300-500 Hz error is well
within the spec of the radio so there's not much you can do about it. Shouldn't
hurt anything on a 5 kHz channel.

Bob M.
======