Hello Tom,

I think that the clue here is that you had desense with both the RG-213
and the LMR-400.  My guess would be that there is some mismatch between
the antenna and the duplexer.  The duplexer may be tuned for a 50
resistive ohm load, but the antenna system is presenting some other
impedance/reactance.

Can you tell us more about the duplexer?  An 8 cavity duplexer seems a
little overkill for a 1.6Mhz split.  What is the TX-RX isolation?  Is it
bandpass/band reject?  I use a 4 can BP/BR duplexer on my 6 meter
repeater with more than enough isolation for a 1Mhz split  52.41/53.41Mhz.

I would not get too concerned on feedline loss on 6 meters.  The
difference between RG-213 and LMR-400 at 6 meters is less than .5dB
loss.  Look at  this link for reference:  <http://ocarc.ca/coax.htm>
LMR-400 has a definite potential problem with repeater use.  I think you
read the posts abut it, plus Motorola put out a white paper not
recommending this type of cable for duplex operation.   We pulled out
hundreds of LMR cable jumpers at my old job because of intermod
problems.  The intermod seems more related to poor connector
installation and durability of the connectors being moved around.  Noise
was more of a problem in the cable itself, especially where the cable
was subject to movement on the tower, or getting to the tower.  I know
many people will say that they have used LMR for years with no
problems.  This can be true, but the potential of a problem is still there.

73, Joe, K1ike