Just relative to your post here...

If you're playing with a Ritron Repeater of circa 80's
vintage... then you probably have one of two types. The first
is the black shoe-box model, which at first glance is considered
a toy repeater. Under the right conditions the black shoe-box
repeater works pretty well for what it is. Model RR-454 and similar
nubers.

The second model is the silver face unit... looking more like
a desk-top radio... can also be a base station and/or repeater
or combinations of both.

Both of the above repeaters have what I call cigar tube notch
type duplexers, which in the right conditions do work fairly
well for their intended application.

Most stuffy radio folks without much imagination discount these
products as toys. When looking at these items with a more flexible
and bean counter eye... the reason why there are a lot of these
units out there will become obvious.

They are much fun to play with... providing you have the right
attitude and resources.

cheers,
s.