From: Doug Dickinson <dougd...@yahoo.com>

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 05:48:59
To: <Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: OT: Radios and Coms in TV and Movies

I do remember a little about the radios they used on the series. The "Orange
Box duplex paramedic radio was the original Motorola adventure into the medical
telemetry function. It consisted of (all inside the orange box case) an HT220
used as an exciter, and a PA out of a micor mobile low power unit and a
duplexer from a mobile phone (I think from a Mocom 70 series radio). The
receiver was straight out of the micor also. It had a "limited production" VCO
that is fed from a differential amplifier that amplifies the typical 50mv
signal retreived from the skin surface from heart activity and the amplified
voltage feeds the variable VCO which modulates the EKG signal acrosss the air.
It also has what we called "micky mouse mux" so that the audio from the ekg and
from the voice were transmitted simultaniously and separated at the ekg console
at the hospital to give both ekg and duplex voice simultaniously. It was an
interesting radio and it worked fairly
 well. The next version was the APCOR series, but that is another story.

 The portables they used started out as HT200 radios with the telescoping
antenna which were accurate at one time for LA County FD. I also saw an HT220
on a later show. I never saw an MT500 that I recall. It was mostly older
equipment they used.

 The Defib was a PhysioControl Lifepack 3 if I remember correctly. They were
big and heavy, but they did get the job done.

 I don't remember the mobile radio. I would have to watch an episode to know
the mobile radio. It was probably a Mocom 70, but I won't bet on it.

 So - that's what I remember.

 Doug
 Seattle now
 Florida back then