Laryn,

If the power supply were a switching design, current foldback would
occur.  But, in the typical Astron RS-series linear supply, the
firing of the SCR puts a bolted short on the output.  As soon as the
large capacitors on the output start to lose their charge, the
regulator tries to maintain the output voltage by turning on the pass
transistors to full conduction, quickly exceeding the current ratings
of the transformer and rectifier diodes and blowing the fuse.  Every
time this has happened to an Astron RS supply (that I have personal
knowledge of), it has blown the fuse.  Every time.  Odd that your
experience is different.  The fuse ratings are specified by Astron to
ensure that they will blow under such conditions.

Because of their (RS-series) relative instability in high-RF
environments, I now install only Duracomm, Samlex, and Astron
switching power supplies.  Lightweight, very efficient, and very
reliable.  'Nuff said.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Laryn Lohman" <lar...@...>