First, I have a much bigger trash can at my house, so you can send that supply
my way ! No sense wasting it in YOUR trash can.

Second, if the supply output voltage did change as a function of load, then the
723 regulator is not doing its job. I can tell you that the whole idea of a
regulated power supply is to maintain the output voltage regardless of load, at
least until something draws excessive current. I set all of my supplies to
14.00VDC and label them as such; haven't had a problem in 20 years. The crowbar
shouldn't fire until about 16 volts, but it certainly IS sensitive to RF, and
if a lot is floating around, that can definitely trigger it. Whether it's the
SCR itself, or the sense circuit driving it, something is causing it to fire
and blow the fuse. You'd need to measure the actual output voltage of the
supply to see if it's going that high or if the SCR is being falsely triggered.
Of course, you only get one shot at trying it before the fuse blows.

Astron supplies will not turn on if there's a significant load on them when AC
power is applied. I had one powering a 90w amplifier that drew about 16 amps.
If drive was applied when I turned the Astron supply on, it would output zero
volts. I had to remove the drive, thus removing the load, then turn the supply
on, then turn the drive on. Most of the time this isn't a problem. It does the
same thing with a 1/2 ohm load attached to the output terminals; goes into
immediate current overload foldback. Seems to be happy to sit that way, but of
course you don't get any output voltage.

Bob M.
======